Sunday, January 4, 2009

At home with the kinder fickers


This is Leiden, a sleepy little town, just a short puck from Amsterdam. Did you know 8 presidents of the USA can trace their roots back to this town? And did you know that Rembrandt grew up here? Or did you know that it's home to Europe's two most famous paedophiles?




Meet Ricardo and Martijn. They're Dutch, they live together in Leiden and they really, really, really like kids. After about three months of correspondence they finally granted me an interview.

Ricardo runs a paedophile website called Martijn, which doesn't work a lot of the time as his many enemies hack in and make a mess of the place. They crashed the server recently by setting up some sort of virus which made the homepage open 200,000 times in a row. Martijn is a member of the Dutch PNVD party, a party whose principal aim is to reduce the age of consent to 12, and who didn't even come close to getting the required number of signatures to run for election last time around.

Ricardo is 22 and Marijn is 36, and if you could just put the fact that they get their kicks fucking children out of your mind, you might even find them pleasant.

Anyway, they gave me 3 hours and then let me take some photos of them. Their neighbours all know what they get up and during the interview there were a few bangs on the door and everyone who passed had a peak through the window. I thought I'd get lynched on my way back to the station but no such drama.

I stayed at a friend's in Amsterdam and went out to a party in an abandoned newspaper office with a bunch of freelancers who burst my bubble by telling me all the questions I should have asked.

Tonight I'm back in Berlin and I'm drinking tea while listening to the transcript. Frightening but true, MacCauley Culkin's name keeps popping up. Lucky for Mac he's the same age as me now but I wonder if he knows that Uncle Buck is like catnip for paedos.

No comments: